Skip to main content
Tulane Home Tulane Home

Newcomb-Tulane College Grant FAQ


Review this list of frequently asked questions about our grants for full-time undergraduates. If you have a question that you don’t see listed, please contact Melissa A. Weber, manager of grants and programs, NTC Dean's Office, at or 504-314-2829.

Application Process:

Q: Who is eligible to apply?
A: All Newcomb-Tulane College (NTC) students are eligible to apply for NTC grant funding. All full-time undergraduates of Tulane University are considered NTC students. Students in their first semester, whether first-year students or transfer students, are not eligible to apply for an NTC grant. Students are eligible for NTC grant funding once they've established a GPA and have completed at least one semester at Tulane.

Q: Can I apply for more than one grant?
A: You may apply for multiple grants from the NTC Dean's Office. However, you are only allowed to receive NTC funding once per academic year, if approved by the grant committee. (The Putnam grant has a separate application process, and students are allowed to receive an NTC grant award in addition to a Putnam grant award.)

Q: When will I hear back with a decision?
A: The grant committee meets to make all decisions after the monthly grant deadline has passed. During each grant cycle, students will learn of the committee’s decision by or on the final day of that month.

Q: Can I apply for a grant year-round?
A: NTC grant applications are only accepted while classes are in session, in September, October, November, February, March, and April.

Q. What is the NTC grant application deadline?
A: The monthly grant deadline is on the 15th of the month at 5:00 p.m. Applications submitted late and after the deadline will be considered during the following month’s cycle. The letter of recommendation from a Tulane faculty member is also part of your application, and must be emailed directly by the faculty member to by the deadline.

Q: Can a staff member write my letter of recommendation?
A: Only one primary recommendation letter is required, and that letter should come from a faculty member at Tulane. Faculty members include professors, assistant and associate professors, professors of practice, and administrative faculty. Adjunct professors, visiting professors, and post-doctoral fellows may serve as recommenders when necessary, but the committee prefers to receive recommendations from regular faculty members. Staff members are not faculty, with the exception of those who are appointed as adjuncts. Secondary letters are optional, and are accepted from Tulane staff members, non-Tulane faculty, and/or other community professionals who can speak to your project and application.


Q: Can I get funding for a project or internship that will start after I graduate?
A: Grant funds can only be used for projects, travel, or internships that you fully complete prior to your graduation date.

Q: Can I obtain funding for a start-up venture?
A. No. The Taylor Center may have funding for these types of projects.

Q: Can I obtain grant funding for study abroad program tuition?
A: Study Abroad grants are only offered through the Office of Study Abroad. Please contact Joanie Vicknair for more information.

Q: Can I get funding for a service project?
A: Funding eligibility for service projects is determined on a case-by-case basis. Generally, students must prove that the project has a strong relationship to their academic interests, and that the project’s impact on the community being served will be substantial and beneficial in the long term. Preference is given to service trips of longer duration rather than brief “voluntourism”-type experiences.

Q: My professor wants to pay me a research stipend. Is this something a grant can fund?
A: Research stipend grants are available for Honors students through the Honors Program. General Newcomb-Tulane College grants cannot be used for research stipends or salaries. However, your professor can apply for CELT grants to pay students for research work

Q: I have been accepted by a program that charges a fee for placing me with an internship and providing housing. Can I get grant funding for this?
A: The grant committee does not typically award funding for these programs, but will occasionally make an exception if the program is a non-profit.

Q: I am attending a conference out of town. What costs will a grant fund?
A: Grant funding for conference travel can be used for travel/transportation, lodging, and registration fees. It may not be used for food or other expenses.

Q: Are there other Tulane offices that offer funding?
A: Yes, and you're encouraged to research all funding sources on campus, including your department. Visit for a complete list of Tulane offices that give grants to undergraduates. Additionally, Newcomb College Institute has funding opportunities for female-identified students. The Honors Program has some funding for honors thesis research. The Office of Study Abroad administers study abroad grants and scholarship opportunities. The Center for Academic Equity has grants for self-identified underrepresented or non-traditional students, including students of color, LGBTQ students, and first generation college students. 

Travel Grants:

Q: My project involves solo travel to a foreign country to do research. What should I know?
A: Your application's statement of purpose should include detailed information on the contacts that you will be working with overseas. Please note that NTC cannot fund travel to countries on the U.S. State Department's Travel Warning List.

Q: Can I obtain grant funding for study abroad program tuition?
A: Study Abroad grants are only offered through the Office of Study Abroad. Please contact Joanie Vicknair for more information.